February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month.
Almost 1 in 10 teens reports being either physically, sexually, emotionally or verbally abused by a boyfriend or girlfriend in the last year. Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month is a national effort to raise awareness and protect teens from violence.
Warning Signs of Abuse
- Students partner is extremely jealous or possessive
- You notice unexplained marks or bruises
- Notice that your student/friend is depressed or anxious
- Friend/student stops participating in extracurricular activities or other interest
- Stops spending time with other friends and family
- Student starts to dress differently
- Students boyfriend or girlfriend emails or texts excessively
What You Can Do
- Show concern for their safety
- Talk about behaviors, not the person
- Avoid Ultimatums
Is is never too early to talk to your child about healthy relationships and dating violence.
For more information please visit https://www.loveisrespect.org/